Banana bread is my all-time favorite solution to a bunch of overly ripe bananas. One of my boys is a self-proclaimed banana king, and he is the reason I freely toss bananas in my grocery cart. But even the Banana King can’t beat the lightening speed ripening capacity of bananas in the summertime. Bananas go from perfectly yellow to profusely spotted in the blink of an eye. My freezer tells me she just hasn’t got the space for more.
Thus, we are a banana bread eating family. I typically make this yummy moist banana bread with yogurt, often with chocolate. This time, I had a bunch of plump, fresh strawberries that needed some attention. So, I decided to throw them in and make strawberry banana bread.
I was originally inspired to start making strawberry bread about ten years ago, when I saw it in my Penzeys mag. Which I love, by the way (both strawberry bread and Penzeys.) Strawberry bread is superbly delish in its own right. But two good things coming together can turn into something great, and that’s what happened here. Bananas + strawberries = strawberry banana bread that’s grrreat!
This Strawberry Banana Bread is moist, dense, and chock full of sweet berries and bananas. Brown sugar adds a perfect amount of sweetness, while cinnamon lends that mouthwatering aroma that only cinnamon can. This strawberry banana bread is super easy and keeps well for breakfast, snack, or sneak a scoop of vanilla ice cream over it for dessert 🙂
This strawberry banana bread is bursting with fresh berries and sweet bananas. It is moist and keeps well.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F, with rack on lower middle. Grease and flour a glass 8×5″ loaf pan.
- In a bowl, gently toss strawberries with the granulated sugar, coating all strawberries with sugar. Let sit.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs until slightly foamy. Add vanilla, brown sugar, and melted butter (not too hot.) Add in the macerated strawberries and mashed bananas.
- Using rubber spatula, gently fold flour mixture into the egg/butter mixture, just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake about 1 hour to 1.5 hours, or until toothpick in center comes out almost clean, with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let bread cool in pan on wire rack. When cool, carefully remove bread from pan.
- Note: Keeps well wrapped in freezer.
Source: Chew Out Loud