I don’t make ham often, since we generally gravitate towards turkey for the holidays and even for Easter. But when I do make ham (this ever-popular Honey Baked Ham), the sweet and savory components of it are deliciously inviting.
For some reason, at all holiday gatherings I’ve ever been to, there’s always leftover ham. The turkey might be down to nothing, but there’s always a bit of leftover ham. At the very least, there’s always the ham bone with ample ham meat on it. I used to toss away that nice ham bone. Never again.
Leftover ham is a good thing, considering the yummy things that it can transform into…
This year, I discovered how tasty leftover ham is in soup! I’ve never been tempted to use it in soup, but when I finally gave it a shot, we all became quick fans of this Ham Potato Vegetable Soup.
This sweet and savory soup is accomplished in none other than the crock pot. Double score. I adore throwing things into the crock pot, walking away for hours, and having dinner ready when the hungry tummies come calling.
If it still sounds different to you, I’m urging you to give it a try! I seriously had my doubts, but this soup turned out flavorful and succulent. The kids loved the sweetness, which is balanced out by the saltiness of the ham.
Definitely give it the full amount of time to cook, so the flavors have time to meld. It’s great after it has been given the full 8 hours of slow cooking. Make it yours by adding potatoes and your favorite veggies. Healthy and mouthwatering!
Ham, Potato, Vegetable Soup
This Ham, Potato, and Vegetable soup is made easy in the slow cooker! It’s simple, healthy, and a delicious way to use up leftover ham bone/ham. Perfect weeknight meal!
Yield: about 6-8 1x
- 1 ham bone with leftover meat attached, plus leftover ham meat cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6–7 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 TB garlic powder or minced garlic
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In slow-cooker, add all ingredients except for potatoes. Stir well to combine. Cook on LOW for 8 hours (or on high for 6 hours), adding the cubed potatoes during the last 2 hours.
- Remove ham bone. If needed, remove attached meat and shred. Discard the bone, and return shredded meat to the slow cooker.
- Continue cooking until soup is warmed up again. If needed, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: soup, dinner
Source: Chew Out Loud
Need a better holiday ham recipe? Look no further. This Honey Baked Ham is a crowd favorite.
Here’s my favorite way to turn leftover holiday ham into a scrumptious breakfast!
This Potato Breakfast Casserole is another winner!