This Easy Moroccan Chicken Soup is bursting with savory goodness, super healthy, and unbelievably easy. Awesome weeknight meal for fall and winter evenings.
Soup frequently reminds me of my brother and sister in law.
Not only are they the cutest couple who gave me the most adorable niece ever, but they are serious soup people.
A few years back, they stayed with us for over a week, and I had a blast cooking and baking for all 7 of us every night. I know my idea of fun is twisted; this was well before I started a food blog, so it’s even more whacked.
At the end of their stay, I asked my bro what they liked to cook at home. He simply said soup. Oh. I could have make soup.
Lots of soup. Really good soup.
That soup talk with my brother brought my brain back to BK (before kids) days. When Hubby and I used to eat healthy, uber nutritious soups all the time.
But as The Littles grew taller, we gradually regained our foodie footing inch by inch.
For all you exhausted baby mamas, there is hope. Really and truly.
The entire family enjoys this Moroccan Chicken Soup. It’s super easy, coming together in just 30 minutes.
The veggies, couscous, and garbanzo beans pack in a nutritional punch. The flavors are savory with a bit of flair. Perfect vehicle for dunking chewy rustic bread into.
We’ll always have a soft spot for ooey gooey mac ‘n cheese. But some days, we just want soup.
This Moroccan Chicken Soup is easy, quick, and delicious! It is super healthy, yet boasts big flavor. Couscous and garbanzo beans give this soup a festive flair. Perfect dinner for busy and chilly nights.
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 5 cups good quality chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (16 oz) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch bites
- 1/2 cup plain dry couscous
- Shredded chicken from 1 rotisserie chicken (3 cups)
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until softened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in garam masala and cook 30 seconds more.
- Add broth and tomatoes, and bring to simmer. Stir in garbanzo beans, zucchini, and couscous. Cook, covered, until couscous is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from The Best Simple Recipes Cookbook
Here are a few must-have soups/stews that make the chilly nights worthwhile!
1. Easy Mexican Chicken Stew – This is my favorite soup to serve alongside tortilla chips and salsa! So easy, healthy, and scrumptious.
2. Our family and friends favorite Homemade Chicken Soup. Everybody has their “best” recipe for this, but we truly and honestly think this one is the best ever! Hits the spot and tastes amazing, even if it’s subzero outside.
3. This Ham, Vegetable, and Potato Soup will make you rethink the leftover ham bone. Savory, sweet, and chock full of flavor.