Hot Imitation Crab Dip makes a hearty and satisfying appetizer for any occasion. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare and tastes delicious with any assortment of crackers, breads, or veggies.
Recently one of The Littles asked me in his inquisitive manner this age-old question:
How do they make string cheese so stringy?
Huh. Good one. Back in the day, we would have flexed our biceps to ruffle through some heavy duty Encylopedia Brittanicas. Today, I tapped a few fingers and found this answer on the Huffington Post.
Which brings me to the wonders of imitation crab meat. As a kid, I loved eating those crab sticks, pulling them apart like string cheese. Now my boys have a party doing the same.
I hope nobody asks me how they make crab sticks stringy because
…well, because Google doesn’t turn up much of an answer for that one. Thankfully, the ingredients listed in the making of the imitation crab we buy are natural and non-chemy.
And that means we get to keep eating it. We typically toss chunks of imi crab into Asian soups or stir fries. But this time, I decided to make it into an app worthy of any casual or special occasion.
This Hot Imitation Crab Dip is chock full of protein, spices, and made creamy with the addition of cream cheese. You can amp up the heat with cayenne pepper if you like. And definitely serve this dip warm. If you make it ahead of time and chill it, just be sure to warm it through before serving.
This hot dip goes well with an assortment of breads, crackers, or veggie sticks.
Leftovers can be used in sandwiches the next day, which make a tasty twist for lunch.Print
This Hot Imitation Crab Dip is affordable and delicious. It’s hearty, creamy, and satisfying. Be sure to serve it warm. Breads, crackers, and veggies are excellent dippers for this dip!
- 2 1/2 tsp whole mayo
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce or cayenne, optional
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. whole cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 lb imitation crab meat, chopped
- In a microwavable bowl, combine all ingredients except for imitation crab meat. Microwave in 30-60 second increments, stirring in between, until warmed through. Stir to combine well. Stir in crab meat. Mix well. Microwave 2 minutes or until hot. Add kosher salt or cayenne pepper to taste. Serve hot with crackers, breads, or veggies.
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from Taste of Home
Here are a few of our tried and true apps we love to share:
1. Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip. This one’s a sure crowd pleaser everywhere you go. Serve it at home or bring it to a party.
2. Savory Pumpkin and Bacon Dip. Yes, savory is the word. This is creamy, perfectly salty, and awesome for holiday parties.
3. This ever-popular 7-Layer Mexican Dip always results in an empty platter. This one’s a fabulous dip for any occasion, all year round. I could eat a heaping plateful of this for dinner. With chips, of course.
4. Sriracha Buffalo Chicken Dip is perfect when you’re looking for a twist from normal. It’s got a bit of kick and a lot of YUM. Creamy, hearty, and delicious on crackers, breads, or with corn chips.