This Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas is zesty, bright, and perfect for busy weeknights! With minimal prep and a single pan, you’ll get a dish loaded with tender juiciness and great flavor.
In This Article
VIDEO: WATCH US MAKE THIS RECIPE
Why This Recipe Stands Out
There’s something incredibly satisfying about a meal that’s both delicious and easy to make. That’s exactly what you get with these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas:
- Simple: This recipe uses simple, fresh ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen, like our 15-minute Spaghetti Aglio e Olio.
- Healthy: Loaded with lean protein and colorful veggies, this is a meal you can feel good about eating, just like our Chicken Fajita Pasta.
- Versatile: Serve with your favorite toppings and sides for a meal that can be customized to your liking.
- Easy Cleanup: Since everything cooks on one sheet pan, cleanup is a cinch like our other delicious one-pan recipes.
- Tasty Leftovers: If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, they make a great next-day lunch.
Key Recipe Ingredients
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – The star of our fajitas, these chicken breasts provide a lean, protein-packed base.
- Sweet Bell Peppers – We use a mixture of colors. They add a sweet, slightly tangy flavor that complements the chicken beautifully.
- Onions – Thinly sliced onions bring a touch of sweetness and crunch to our fajitas.
- Spices – A blend of ground cumin, garlic powder, oregano, kosher salt, chili powder, paprika, and coriander infuse our fajitas with a robust flavor.
- Fajita-sized Tortillas – These are the vessels for our fajitas. They’re soft, pliable, and perfect for holding all the delicious fillings.
- Salsa and/or Guacamole – These add a fresh, zesty kick and a creamy, rich contrast to our fajitas, respectively.
- Shredded Cheese – A sprinkle of shredded cheese adds a creamy, salty element that ties all the flavors together.
Substitutions And Variations
We love the vibrant flavors of these sheet pan chicken fajitas. Here are some variations and substitutes you might also enjoy:
- Protein: While this recipe calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts, feel free to substitute with chicken thighs or beef strips for a different protein option.
- Spicier: The seasoning mix is quite flexible. If you prefer a smokier flavor, try adding some chipotle powder. For a spicier kick, up the quantity of chili powder or add some red pepper flakes as we do in our popular Penne with Vodka Sauce.
- Vegetarian: For a vegetarian version, replace the chicken with portobello mushrooms or a mix of your favorite veggies like zucchini and eggplant.
- Cheese: Swap out shredded cheese with a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of cotija cheese for a different flavor profile which is similar to the classic Mexican Street Corn Salad.
Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions
- Combine all seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Dry and pound the chicken to an even thickness, then slice it into strips. Toss the chicken in the seasoning mixture.
- Arrange vegetables on the baking sheet and season. Place chicken on top and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, toss, then bake for another 10 minutes.
- Drizzle lime juice over the cooked fajitas and serve immediately with your choice of garnishes.
For full list of ingredients and instructions, see recipe card below.
How To Prep Ahead
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are a crowd-pleaser, and they can be even easier to make with a little prep work. Take a look at our best prep-ahead tips for this recipe:
- Seasoning Mixture: Pre-mix the dry seasonings together and keep them in an airtight container, up to several weeks in advance.
- Season the Chicken: You can slice and season the chicken breasts ahead of time. Simply mix all the ingredients for the seasoning mixture, coat the chicken well, and store it in the fridge. This can be done up to a day in advance. It’s a great way to prep the lunch beforehand.
- Prep the Veggies: The bell peppers and onions can be sliced and stored in the fridge a day ahead. This will save you time on the day of cooking and make the process smoother.
- Meal Prep: This entire dish is perfect for weekly meal prep! Make a big batch and divide into meals for the week.
What To Serve With Chicken Fajitas
Rice and Grains
- Our Cilantro Lime Rice is a refreshing and tangy side that complements the flavors of the fajitas beautifully. It’s easy to make and packed with flavor.
- If you’re looking for a healthier grain option, try quinoa. It’s high in protein and fiber, and it absorbs the flavors of the fajitas wonderfully.
Guacamole, Salsa, and Dips
- Dips are a must when serving sheet pan chicken fajitas. Our Homemade Guacamole is a crowd favorite, packed with fresh avocado and a hint of lime.
- Your favorite salsa will taste amazing with chicken fajitas. We love Best Pico De Gallo and Restaurant Style Salsa.
- Another great option is our Avocado Black Bean Dip. It’s creamy, flavorful, and pairs perfectly with the fajitas.
- Grilled corn on the cob is a classic side for fajitas. The sweet, slightly charred corn kernels add a nice contrast to the spicy chicken.
- Crispy salads like Mexican Taco Salad and Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites) are simply perfect pairings!
Commonly Asked Questions
Pounding the chicken to an even thickness ensures that it cooks evenly. This prevents some parts from being overcooked while others are still raw.
For this sheet pan chicken fajitas recipe, we recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs. Both are lean, tender, and easy to slice into strips for even cooking.
Overlapping the chicken pieces can result in uneven cooking. It’s best to lay them out in a single layer on the baking sheet so they all cook at the same rate.
Sheet pan chicken fajitas can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to store them in an airtight container to maintain their freshness and flavor.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
For the Fajitas:
For the Seasoning Mixture:
- In a small bowl, combine all Seasoning Mixture ingredients and whisk to incorporate well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F, with rack on upper middle position. Lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Thoroughly towel-dry the chicken pieces and pound to an even thickness (1/2″ thick.) Slice into strips 1/2″ wide. Be sure chicken doesn’t contain excess moisture. Toss chicken with seasoning mixture to coat well.
- Place bell peppers and onions onto greased baking sheet. Sprinkle top of veggies evenly with 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Place chicken slices evenly on top; try not to overlap pieces. Evenly drizzle olive oil over the chicken to coat as evenly as possible.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes, remove from oven and give it a quick toss to evenly re-coat, and place back in oven for another 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked.
- Drizzle desired amount of lime juice over the fajitas and serve immediately with garnishes of your choice.
- To ensure your chicken is juicy and tender, make sure to towel-dry the chicken pieces thoroughly before seasoning. This helps the seasoning stick better and prevents the chicken from steaming instead of brownimg.
- Pounding the chicken to an even thickness before slicing into strips ensures even cooking.
- When arranging your chicken and veggies on the sheet pan, try not to overlap the pieces. Overlapping can lead to uneven cooking and can also cause the ingredients to steam rather than roast.
- Drizzling olive oil over the chicken and veggies not only adds flavor but also helps them roast nicely in the oven. Be sure to coat as evenly as possible for the best results.
- Don’t skip the step of tossing the ingredients halfway through cooking. This helps to re-coat the chicken and veggies in the pan juices and ensures they cook evenly.
- Cilantro Lime Rice or Avocado Black Bean Dip are a fantastic accompaniment to this dish.
- For gluten-free serving, use corn tortillas or serve with rice instead of flour tortillas.
Nutrition (per serving)
More To Cook And Eat
- 30-Minute Mexican Chicken and Quinoa Stew – A hearty, healthy, and mouthwatering stew doesn’t have to take more than 30 minutes. This Mexican Chicken and Quinoa Stew hits the spot on any winter weeknight.
- Best Easy Mexican Rice – This Mexican Rice is easy, fluffy, and flavorful. It’s the perfect side dish to your favorite Mexican or Tex Mex meal. We make this often, as it takes only a handful of ingredients and 25 minutes to cook.
- Mexican Pulled Pork – Pork Carnitas – Braised and broiled to crispy and tender perfection, this Mexican Pulled Pork or Pork Carnitas will quickly become a family favorite dinner. These pork carnitas are a hands-down winner.
- Mexican Pasta Bake – This Mexican Pasta recipe is a vibrant, spicy twist on a classic comfort food. Infused with traditional Mexican spices and topped with cheese, it’s bound to become a new family favorite!