This One-Pan Tex Mex Quinoa is fantastically easy, and tastes extraordinary! It’s a quick weeknight all-in-one meal that the whole family will devour. It’s also a great side dish for a weekend meal.
Quinoa has been high on our dinner radar for the past several years.
Awhile back, I jumped on a healthy grain kick. Included in our growing pantry collection were less mainstream grains such as millet and quinoa.
Fast forward to today. Quinoa has become Miss Popular in the whole-grain world.
Looking at this, it’s no surprise why…
Quinoa deserves its favored status. After all, it’s a densely nutrient-rich grain and is absolutely delicious in all a huge variety of dishes. It easily subs for rice in many recipes.
This One-Pan Tex Mex Quinoa boasts great southwestern flair, fresh flavors, and is incredibly easy to pull off.
We are big fans of the black beans, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime combination going on in this dish. Even The Littles scarf it up.
In fact, I’ve made this very recipe for non-quinoa eaters or quinoa newbies. Instant conversion.
This dish is especially fantastic as a side dish for Mexican night. Build your own Carnitas and this quinoa are a match destined to be.
Or make this into the main dish; just toss in cooked shredded chicken or shrimp if you have carnivores to please.
Did we mention the one-pan thing? That pretty much seals the deal.
This Easy Tex Mex Quinoa dish is perfect as a main dish (add chicken or shrimp if desired) or as a side dish for Mexican night! It’s a quick one-pan recipe that fits your busy schedule weeknights or weekends alike.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained well in a fine mesh sieve
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- A bit less than 1 1/2 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen or canned (drained)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- lime wedges for sprinkling
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add oil. Cook onion and garlic just until tender. Add quinoa and red bell pepper to the pan. Add the broth (between 1 1/3 and 1 1/2 cups).
- Stir in cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer. Simmer until broth is fully absorbed, 22 minutes. Do not lift cover during cooking.
- Stir in corn kernels and black beans, cover, and continue to simmer 5 more minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro. Add more kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime juice to taste, and serve.
Source: Chew Out Loud, inspired by allrecipes.com
Here are a few more of my favorite Tex Mex inspired recipes:
1. How about that Carnitas? We love making a big batch of this scrumptious, fork-tender Mexican Pulled Pork and hosting a build-your-own carnitas party! Or just nosh on it all by ourselves = just as awesome.
2. Warm Chorizo Spinach Salad – the perfect veggie side dish for Mexican night. This salad will blow you away with its big, scrumptious flavors.
3. Easy, Best Mexican Rice – We make this one frequently for Mexican nights. It goes with everything. And it’s SO much better than anything that comes in a box.
4. This easy Tex Mex Chicken Burrito Bowl is another meal in one. Awesome and delish for weeknights. Healthy to boot.