In This Article
Watch Us Make This Easy Crockpot Chili Recipe
Why You’ll Love This Easy Crockpot Chili Recipe
- Made in the slow cooker, it requires just a few minutes of prep work, and dinner will be waiting for you when you come home.
- Lean beef, fresh veggies, and warm spices combine for a budget-friendly recipe that’s not only scrumptious but good for you, too.
- One batch makes 10 servings, meaning it’s great if you’re extra hungry or are feeding a large crowd.
- Leftovers taste even better the next day and keep well for a meal you’ll look forward to eating all week.
- It’s naturally gluten-free and dairy-free-friendly, and you can easily adjust the spices for a satisfying crockpot chili recipe that meets a wide variety of flavor preferences and dietary needs.
Crockpot Chili Key Ingredients
Apart from the fact that it’s so easy to make, one of the main reasons why this crockpot chili recipe has been a staple in our meal prep lineup for years is that it uses ingredients we almost always have on hand! Take a look below to find everything you’ll need.
- Protein – We typically use lean ground beef, but turkey tastes great, too.
- Spices – A combination of garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and allspice creates a bold, savory flavor with just the perfect amount of heat.
- Olive oil – Used to brown the meat, enhancing its flavor and adding a good dose of healthy fats, too.
- Tomato sauce and diced tomatoes – These form the base of the broth, adding lots of flavor and texture to the dish.
- Black beans – You can’t have chili without beans! They’re included for texture, fiber, and plant-based protein.
- Vegetables – Sweet frozen corn kernels, garlic, green bell peppers, and onion are included for flavor and nutrients.
- Sugar – Just a pinch balances out the acidity of the tomatoes and the heat of the spices for a well-rounded flavor.
- Tabasco sauce – Add as little or as much as you’d like for a bit of extra heat!
Don’t be afraid to load this easy crockpot chili recipe up with all the best toppings! For instance, some of our favorites include:
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime slices
- Sour cream
- Jalapeño slices
- Diced onion
Of course, this crockpot chili is incredibly delicious when served on its own. However, you can never go wrong with a side or two! Feel free to get creative, and pair your chili with options like:
Make Ahead and Storage Options
Believe it or not, this easy slow cooker chili recipe tastes even better the next day! Just follow the storage tips below to keep it fresh.
Refrigerator: Once fully cooked and cooled, leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, let leftovers thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, reheat them in the microwave, on the stovetop over medium heat, or in a crockpot set to warm until your desired temperature is reached.
Crockpot Chili Recipe Common Questions
Yes, as long as you cook it long enough to reach an internal temperature of 160°F, it is safe to put raw beef in a crockpot. However, chili tastes best when beef is first browned on stovetop prior to adding it to the slow cooker.
We recommend cooking chili in slow cooker for no longer than 8 hours on low heat. However, for this easy crockpot chili recipe, we let the ingredients cook for 6-7 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
Yes, if you cook your slow cooker chili too long the meat may dry out and the veggies are likely to turn mushy. Don’t worry, though! It takes 9 hours or more before this begins to happen.
More to Cook and Eat
- Instant Pot Chili – Cooked in the Instant Pot, this chili recipe is quick, easy, and nutritious, too.
- Turkey Chili – Our go-to comfort food for cold winter days, this turkey chili can be made in the slow cooker or on the stovetop for a crowd-pleasing recipe.
- The Best Vegetarian Chili – This vegetarian dish is so flavorful, it’ll even have the carnivores in your life coming back for more!
- Healthy Chicken Chili – Combined in just one pot and ready in 30 minutes, dinner doesn’t get better than this.
- White Chicken Chili – Rich and creamy, this is hands down the tastiest chili we’ve ever had the privilege of dipping our spoons into.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Easy Crockpot Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef, or turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 TB olive oil
- 32 oz tomato sauce
- 16 oz diced tomatoes, Italian style, with juices
- 32 oz black beans, canned, drained
- 1 cup corn, sweet frozen kernels
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, large chopped
- 2-4 tsp chili powder, depending on desired amount of heat
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- Dash of cayenne
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Dash of allspice
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, fresh lime slices, or sour cream
- Mix uncooked ground meat with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1 tsp pepper. Mix together well. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add ground meat and cook until browned, breaking it up while you cook.
- Transfer cooked meat to slow cooker. Add in the rest of ingredients to the browned meat. Cook on Low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours. (If using a Dutch oven or heavy pot on stovetop, bring to simmer for 4 hours.)
- Keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish with desired toppings.
- For stovetop option, use a large heavy pot or Dutch oven. Follow same instructions for slow-cooker, but cook over medium-low heat, covered, for 1-2 hours until flavors are melded and veggies are soft.
- Slow cooker chili is perfect for meal prep: place cooled chili in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months.