In This Article
What is White Chicken Chili?
White chicken chili generally refers to a cozy, thick stew type of dish made with white beans, chicken, and green chilis. Heat level can vary depending on whether mild green chilis, hot green chilis, or hot sauce is used. White chili is creamier and whitish in color, due to being more cream-based rather than tomato-based. Instead of black beans, white chicken chili uses white beans such as great northern beans. Additionally, shredded white chicken is used versus ground beef in traditional chili recipes.
Why You’ll Love White Chicken Chili
- It’s full of protein and fiber for a meal that will not only warm you up from the inside out but will also keep you full!
- Made in the crockpot, all you have to do is combine the ingredients so you can be in and out of the kitchen in no time and come home to a scrumptious dinner.
- With 12 servings, it’s the perfect option for feeding a crowd.
- Leftovers keep well for lunch the next day; if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers.
- The spices and seasonings can easily be adjusted to fit your flavor preferences; so don’t be afraid to add a little extra hot sauce!
- You’ll find an easy option for making white bean chicken chili on the stovetop below.
Key Ingredients for White Bean Chicken Chili
There are seemingly a million different ways to prepare crockpot white bean chicken chili, and we’ve tried them all. However, this version is the one we always come back to again, and again….and again. Made with simple ingredients, it’s big on flavor and simply the best.
- Skinless, boneless chicken breasts are used as the protein source and added to the crockpot completely raw.
- Plenty of fiber can be found in this dish! Northern beans and corn are included to keep you satisfied.
- The secret to ultra creamy broth is a combination of condensed cream of chicken soup and chicken broth thickened with a pinch of flour.
- Chopped onions and garlic make everything tastier, including this dish.
- Plenty of spices belong here! Oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper create a warm flavor and are given a kick of heat with mild diced green chilis.
- Technically optional, this white bean chicken chili is best served with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Regular Chili vs. White Chili
What is the difference between white chili and regular chili? Essentially, regular chili is tomato-based, built on a foundation red chili seasonings and tomatoes. On the other hand, white chili is cream-based, using cream cheese or creamy soups to create a hearty white stew.
Additionally, a classic chili recipe uses black beans or kidney beans, whereas white chili uses navy beans or great northern beans. White chili generally contains white meat such as shredded white chicken, in lieu of ground beef that’s found in traditional chili recipes.
White Chili Chicken Recipe Commonly Asked Questions
This crockpot white chicken chili makes for a satisfying meal all on its own. However, you can never go wrong with a side of tortilla chips, rustic bread, or sweet corn muffins to soak up all the goodness.
This white chili chicken recipe will work great on the stovetop as well. Just be sure to brown the chicken in a skillet first. Then, add the ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer, cover and let cook for 1 hour. If short on time, opt for this stovetop 30-minute white bean turkey chili instead!
Leftovers keep well so go ahead and make a big batch of this chili! When stored in an airtight container, it will stay fresh in the fridge for 3-5 days or freezer for up to 6 months. Just be sure to seal it airtight.
We keep our recipe here relatively mild, using 8oz mild diced green chilis. You’re free to use 1 can hot and 1 can mild, or add a splash of hot sauce to suit your heat preference.
More to Cook and Eat
- Crock Pot Chili – One bite and you’ll know why this hearty chili recipe is one of our favorites.
- Butternut Squash Chili – The perfect meal to serve gathered around the table with friends.
- Vegetarian Chili – This is hands down the best vegetarian (or vegan) chili we’ve ever had; try it for yourself and see if you agree!
- Healthy Chicken Chili – Good for you and ready in 30 minutes, dinner doesn’t get better than this.
- Healthy Fall Pumpkin Chili – We absolutely adore this cold-weather meal. Loaded with nutritious ingredients and savory flavors, it’s comforting, cozy, and oh-so-tasty.
Also Try Butternut Squash Chili
White Chicken Chili (Crockpot)
- 4 lbs chicken breast tenders, boneless, skinless, cut into chunks
- 3 cans Northern beans, 15 oz each, drained
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup, 10.5 oz each
- 2 cans corn, 15 oz each
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 onions, small, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp oregano
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
- 8 oz diced green chilis, drained, mild or hot (your choice)
- 6 TB flour
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheddar , for optional garnish
- Combine all ingredients (except salt/pepper) into large slow cooker. Mix well to incorporate.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink and onions are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn slow cooker to “warm” setting, and keep warm until ready to serve. If desired, garnish with shredded cheddar. Serve with bread, chips, or corn muffins.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram