Chicken Soup with White Beans and Kale
We’ve been on a relentless soup kick. Right when January reared its arctic head, we started feasting on the likes of tasty Easy Lemon Lentil Soup and healthy yet velvety Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. There are very few meals as comforting and uplifting as a steaming hot bowl of satisfying (and healthy!) soup on a cold winter night.
Today’s Chicken Kale White Bean Soup recipe is a variation of the kind of chicken soup I grew up on and regularly come back to. It’s a wonderfully humble, cozy, and healthy bowl of natural deliciousness. This yummy soup just happens to be gluten free and dairy free. So for all y’all who are looking for a gluten free chicken soup — or dairy free chicken soup — you’ve arrived at your happy destination.
Chicken soup comes in all shapes and sizes. Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup is ever popular in our kitchen, as is our faithfully classic go-to Hearty Turkey/Chicken Noodle Soup. If you like souper food, you’ll appreciate the roundup at the end of this post.
Today we added kale, white beans, spices, and rice to create this scrumptious Chicken Kale White Bean Soup that will be on your dinner table in well under an hour…
Why You’ll Love Chicken White Bean Soup
Why I’ve been dishing up Chicken Kale White Bean Soup for dinner:
- It’s brimming with protein, antioxidants, and nothing but the good stuff
- It’s colder here in Minneapolis than in Alaska. ‘Nuff said about that.
- It comes together in less than an hour. Even faster when you use rotisserie chicken.
- It’s accidentally gluten-free and dairy-free, if that feeds your needs.
- Leftovers are fantastically awesome the next day.
- It makes our taste buds so so soooo happy 😄 …that’s the best part.
Soup’s on. Enjoy.
You might really like this, too:
Chicken Kale White Bean Soup Recipe
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 31 oz white beans, drained
- 1 TB oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups chicken stock, homemade or high quality store-bought
- 3 cups chicken, cooked/shredded rotisserie works well
- 3 cups kale, baby leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups rice, cooked. white or brown
- In a Dutch oven or large, heavy stock pot, heat olive oil over medium high until hot. Add onion and stir 2-3 minutes just until translucent. Add garlic and stir 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add carrots and stir 2-3 minutes.
- Gently add white beans, oregano, kosher salt, black pepper, stock, and shredded chicken. Bring to a low boil; cover and simmer 15-25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add sliced kale leaves and simmer just until it’s tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle soup and a scoop of rice into individual bowls.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram