Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup
This Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup is both refreshing and comforting. It’s delightfully lemony, healthy, and incredibly satisfying.
Was it really 62F during the 1st week of March…in the Twin Cities?!
Someone, grab the Super Soaker now.
In the 7 winters we’ve lived here, I don’t remember it ever being this warm this soon. I mean, I actually ditched my wool socks and painted my toes today 😉
Dog and I sat in the sunshine. She got all huffy when my shadow blocked her rays.
The neighborhood littles have emerged from hibernation and are suddenly swarming around the basketball nets.
Seriously, is that tune outside really coming from the ice cream truck?
You can see it, hear it, and smell it everywhere.
Technically it’s 13 days away, but here in hardy Minnesota, spring has officially arrived.
You can tell because everyone has turned their frowns upside down. That’s how you know it’s spring in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
Goodbye, Uggs and Cuddle Duds. Hello, flip flops and tank tops and singing birds.
And a boomin’ aloha to bright yellow lemons. [Who cares that citrus fruits abound all winter? Lemons = spring. That’s that.]
There’s no better way to transition from winter to spring than with this Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup. It’s lemony. It’s refreshing. It’s comforting for those still-chilly nights. And healing for late winter colds.
Yeah, we’ve got your back. At least where dinner’s concerned.
Here’s to hot pink pedicures before spring.
And seconds of Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup, thank you.
Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 4 TB salted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups good quality chicken broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1 tsp thyme, dried or fresh
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 green onion stalked, thinly sliced
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 to 3.5 cups cooked wild rice blend, I use Lundberg Wild Rice Blend
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken, rotisserie works well
- 2 cups baby kale or spinach leaves
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring and cooking until translucent. Add chicken broth, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves, ground ginger, and green onion. Bring to a boil. Boil uncovered 10 minutes. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Combine egg yolks with lemon juice in a bowl. Using a hand-whisk, gently whisk in a large ladle-full of the hot soup into the egg mixture until fully incorporated. Slowly pour egg mixture back into the pot of soup, stirring constantly as you pour (this adds flavor and thickens the soup a bit.)
- Add lemon zest, mushrooms, cooked rice, shredded chicken, and kale or spinach leaves. Stir and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve warm, with fresh parmesan cheese, if desired.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud
Lemons aren’t just for lemonade: