The Best Grilled Chicken Legs
Asian BBQ Grilled Chicken is a delightfully flavorful way to change up your usual grilled chicken. This juicy sauce is amazingly flavorful and super easy. Tender, tasty grilled chicken is about to be yours.
When Hubby and I were 100% newbie newlyweds 17 years ago, we were so weird about cooking together. Not awkward, but absolutely silly. Like, we each thought we had the way better way of handling dinner.
Granted, we each had been independently living on our own for years before we met, so we had developed our own set of self-proclaimed “awesome” culinary skills. I fully believed my way of chopping garlic was the way and I was willing to enter combat over it. He was convinced that his old-school method of cooking rice in a pot was unbeatable. You get the pic. It took awhile for us newbies to finally figure out how behave normally in the kitchen together.
One thing both of us did actually agree on from the start was that Asian style BBQ grilled chicken is the way to go. For sure we both had our own tweaks and spins on the marinade deets, but it was kinda fun combining our own favorite recipes for a different flair at every cookout.
Throughout the years, we’ve served up this ultra popular Hawaiian BBQ Grilled Chicken Recipe and our tried-and-true Grilled Teriyaki Chicken, which everyone gobbles up.
Allow me to now share with you this fantastic new cookout winner: General Tso’s Grilled BBQ Chicken…
Why We Love General Tso’s BBQ Grilled Chicken:
- This Asian style BBQ Grilled chicken is full of big, bold flavors that captivates the taste buds
- It’s made up of simple, everyday ingredients you probably have on hand
- It results in supremely tender, succulent chicken
- You can prep and marinade it up to 2 days beforehand, which makes grill day easy
- There’s literally lots of awesome sauce to pour over finished chicken. Ultra yummy-saucy.
- It’s an affordable way to feed a crowd [and leftovers are awesome.]
Also. I now use a certain old school method of cooking rice in a pot 🙂
You’ll probably really like this, too:
General Tso’s BBQ Grilled Chicken
For the Chicken:
- 4 to 4.5 lbs chicken legs
- 8 TB Tamari soy sauce*
- 4 TB olive oil
For Basting Sauce:
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 TB light corn syrup
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Use paper towels to thoroughly dry excess moisture from chicken pieces. Use a fork to poke holes throughout all chicken pieces. Place chicken in a large Ziplock bag and add Tamari soy sauce and olive oil. Seal bag well and ensure chicken pieces are well coated with mixture. Chill for overnight, or up to 2 nights.
- Meanwhile, make the Basting Sauce: Combine all marinade ingredients (not cilantro) and whisk to incorporate. Separate marinade in half (half is for basting, rest is for serving.) Can be made ahead of time and covered/chilled until ready to grill.
- When ready to grill, place bag of chicken at room temp while you prepare the grill. Grill chicken uncovered, rotating, and basting with half of the Basting Sauce, until thickest portion registers 165F.
- Once all chicken is cooked, pour reserved Sauce over grilled chicken, coating all the pieces. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Kitchen Stuff We Love
The Best BBQ and Grilling Recipes
Hawaiian BBQ Grilled Chicken Recipe
15-Minute Spicy, Buttery Asian Grilled Shrimp
Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops