Watermelon Salad Recipe
This amazing watermelon salad recipe is supremely refreshing all summer long! It’s a crazy-easy and fun spin on summer fruit salad. Perfect for all those picnics and cookouts, coming right up.
Calling all self-proclaimed watermelon fanatics: we’ve got the boss of all fruit salads for you today.
If you love all things watermelon, you’ll be all in with this refreshing summer watermelon salad recipe.
If you’ve enjoyed watermelon salad before, you already know all about its tempting virtues. If you’ve yet to try it, tarry no longer. Watermelon salad is a big burst of summer goodness in every bite – sweet, juicy, tangy, and crispy. Plus just enough zing to liven up your plate and bring you back for more.
Serve this refreshing watermelon salad at your next cookout, along with a batch of yummy Watermelon Margaritas for the best summer gathering, pretty much ever.
tips for your watermelon salad:
- Start off with the sweetest, crispiest, ripe watermelon you can get your hands on. This is the trickiest part of entire watermelon salad recipe, because the salad itself is super easy. If picking a great watermelon is a mystery, learn how we consistently pick the best watermelon every time.
- Make sure your yellow tomatoes are fresh and sweet. If you can’t source yellow tomatoes, you can certainly use the little orange or cherry tomatoes.
- Get only the freshest basil; if you’re lucky enough to grow basil in your garden, you’re in business. If you prefer, you can use fresh mint leaves.
- Use only freshly squeezed lime juice. No bottled lime juice here.
how to serve watermelon salad:
Watermelon salad is amazing at any summer gathering you can dream up. It’s perfect next to BLT Burger with Roasted Garlic Mayo or your favorite burgers ‘n brats scenario.
It’s a stunning accompaniment to Garlic Marinated Ribeye Steaks plus all the steaks in the world. You get the idea…anytime it’s grill time, it’s watermelon salad time.
This watermelon salad is also a deliciously cooling and healthy snack on a warm afternoon. Important: keep watermelon salad tightly sealed and chilled until ready serve. It’s also best to enjoy watermelon salad shortly after tossing it together.
commonly asked questions
Though the vast majority of our recipes can be made in advance, this one isn’t one of them. We recommend enjoying this salad soon after tossing. Keep covered and chilled.
The yellow tomatoes tend to be extra sweet, but are chosen mainly for color. You’re free to use cherry tomatoes or whatever baby tomatoes are the sweetest ones you can find.
If you can’t find fresh basil (or simply don’t prefer it,) try freshly torn mint for a burst of refreshing flavor.
Absolutely! Try adding other melons like honeydew or cataloupe at a 1-1 ratio. We recommend using watermelon as the main fruit, to keep it a watermelon salad 🙂
You might really like this, too:
Watermelon Salad Recipe
- 5 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 ½ cups yellow grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- ½ cup freshly torn basil leaves
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 TB pure honey
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Use rubber spatula to gently fold together until well combined.
- Cover and Chill: Cover and chill no more than 1 hour before serving (watermelon salad is best served immediately.)
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Fresh Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Sugar Chips!