It’s happening. It’s really happening. August’s ship has almost sailed, and September is a blink away. Despite summer trying to hang on with its sudden heat wave, the new school year is just days away. I’ll soon be waving goodbye to my sweet little guys at the bus stop each morning.
I thought I’d be ready for it, but I’m not. I’m neither mentally nor emotionally prepared for a new school year. Although the summer days with all the kids home can be challenging, I’m still hankering for another month of taking the boys to the lake. More afternoons of long bike rides together after lunch. More days of waking up without a strict agenda, and planning the day’s activities together.
Of course, there were plenty of summer moments when I wailed about the kids’ wailing, and I fussed about their fussing. But taking their backpacks and lunch boxes back out of hiding is a bittersweet thing every single year.
With the rush of the mornings will come less time for breakfast. Snacks will be packed and sent, rather than eaten in our kitchen. I’ll be making many more transportable and nutritious things like chewy granola bars and peanut butter & jelly muffins for breakfast and snacks. And now these Peanut Butter Honey Cereal Bars, which are easy and perfect for a healthy breakfast or high energy snack on-the-go.
These Peanut Butter Honey Cereal Bars are a hit with kids and grown ups alike. I love that they’re full of protein, naturally sweetened, and packed with yummy dried berries. These cereal bars are crunchy, chewy, and so tasty that both Hubby and I bring them for our own breakfast. If the kids leave us any, that is.
If nut allergies are an issue, I think these would be just as yummy with SunButter (my non-nut butter addiction.) The peanuts can easily be subbed with sunflower seeds or other nuts/seeds of your choice.
Make the most of these last glorious days of summer. I am planning on doing just that.
Peanut Butter Honey Cereal Bars (No Bake)
These Peanut Butter Honey Cereal Bars are easy, healthy, and perfect for healthy breakfast or high energy snack on-the-go!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 6 mins
Yield: 12 1x
- 4 cups of toasted oats cereal
- 1 cup dried berries (cranberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 2/3 cup pure honey (a bit more if needed)
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- Lightly grease an 8 inch square pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cereal, dried berries, and peanuts. Mix well.
- In a pot over medium heat, use a hand whisk to constantly stir honey and peanut butter until completely smooth and fully incorporated, about 1 min. Remove from heat as soon as mixture turns smooth and “silky.” It should not boil/be overcooked, or else the peanut butter may “seize” and lose its ability to stick well. Let mixture cool 3-5 min.
- Pour peanut/honey mixture over the dry cereal mixture, tossing to coat well.
- Press mixture firmly into prepared pan. You’ll need to really press hard so mixture adheres; be sure to firmly press down the sides and corners also. Cover and chill in fridge several hours before cutting into bars.
We’ve made these bars using various brands of PB, all with nice results. If using PB with no sugar added, feel free to bump up your honey amount to 1 cup if you like your bars a bit sweeter.
- Category: Breakfast or Snack
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud