The Only Mousse Cake You’ll Ever Want
If you don’t have a game plan for your next dessert night, this Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake has you covered. Covered in chocolate, that is. Serve up this triple chocolate mousse cake and be prepared for plenty of ooooh’s and aaaah’s and zero leftovers. It’s a wonderful thing when there comes a cake that is actually worthy of every single bite you’re about to take.
This sweet thing will take the cake at every single special occasion you can drum up. Once you take a bite of this, you might start making up occasions just to make this cake for.
This isn’t any old chocolate mousse
Confession: I’ll eat most anything, but I don’t like mousse-y foods. Desserts titled Mousse aren’t the ones I gravitate towards. But this? This Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake is a game changer.
Here is what the Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake looks like au natural. Just want to show you how fabulous it is, even without the embellishment of any drizzles or sauces. It is perfection simply as it is, no additional primping needed. That said, nobody complains about having too much chocolate, so drizzle to your content if you want that extra bit of special on top.
If you’re looking for a super fast gluten-free chocolate cake option, this Flourless Chocolate Cake is yours for the taking. But this triple mousse cake deal is what special occasions call for. Once the wide-eyed approvals and chocolate-smeared smiles are showered on you, you’ll be triple rewarded. Also: just taste for yourself.
Make it ahead of time for gatherings and parties
You’ll likely you want to impress a loved one when celebrating a birthday, anniversary, graduation, Mother’s Day, or the Holidays. This Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake is the winning choice, all the way. You can make it entirely the day beforehand, making party day that much easier.
Be sure you have a good nonstick springform pan; either 9 or 9.5 inches in diameter and at least 3 inches tall. The sides of a springform pan will allow you to gently and easily release the cake from sides. In fact, you can bring this mousse cake with you to a party, as long as it’s left in the springform pan and kept cold in an ice chest until ready to serve.
Note: this chocolate mousse cake is naturally gluten-free, so all your eaters who have gone gluten free can enjoy it as well. This is The Cake nearly everyone can [will] adore.
Watch this recipe in action:
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake (Gluten-Free)
For the Bottom Layer:
For the Middle Layer:
- 2 TB Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 5 TB hot water
- 7 oz high quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups very cold heavy cream
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- ⅛ tsp table salt
For the Top Layer:
- 1 tsp powdered plain gelatin
- 1 TB water
- 6 oz high quality white chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups very cold heavy cream
- Garnishes: Shaved chocolate, cocoa powder, melted chocolate
For the Bottom Layer:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 325F. Butter bottom and sides of a 9 to 9.5 inch springform pan (must be at least 3 inches high)
- In a glass bowl, melt butter, chocolate, and espresso/coffee powder in microwave at 30 second intervals at 50% power. Repeat and stir until very smooth. (Alternatively, you can place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.) Cool mixture about 5 minutes. Whisk in the vanilla and egg yolks. Set aside.
- In stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites and pinch of table salt at medium speed until frothy, 30 seconds. Add half of the brown sugar and beat until combined, 15 seconds. Add rest of brown sugar, beat on high until soft peaks form, 1 minute. Scrape sides halfway through. Using a whisk, gently fold in one-third of the beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture. Using rubber spatula, gently fold in the rest of egg whites until no white streaks remain, but don't overdo it.
- Carefully transfer batter to greased springform pan, gently smoothing the top. Bake until cake is risen and firm around edges and center has just set but is still soft. Center of cake will spring back after pressing gently with finger, about 14-18 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Do not remove cake from pan.
For the Middle Layer:
- Combine cocoa powder and hot water in a small bowl and set aside. In a glass bowl, melt chocolate in microwave set to 50% power in 30 second intervals until smoothly melted. Remove and cool 5 minutes.
- In the clean bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip the cream, sugar, and salt at medium speed until mixture thickens, 30 seconds. Increase to high speed and whip until soft peaks form, 1 minute.
- Whisk cocoa powder mixture into melted chocolate until smooth. Gently whisk in one-third of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in rest of whipped cream until no white streaks remain (don't overdo it) Spoon mousse into springform pan over the cooled bottom layer. Gently tap pan on counter to remove large air bubbles, gently smooth top, and wipe inside edge to remove drips. Chill cake while preparing top layer.
For the Top Layer:
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand 5 minutes. Place white chocolate in a bowl and set aside. Bring 1/2 cup cream to simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture and stir until fully dissolved. Pour cream mixture over the white chocolate and whisk until fully melted and smooth. Cool to room temp, stirring occasionally.
- In clean bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip remaining cup of cream at medium speed until it thickens, 30 sec. Increase speed to high speed and whip until almost stiff peaks form, 1 minute. Using whisk, gently fold a third of whipped cream into the cooled white chocolate mixture. Using rubber spatula, gently fold in rest of whipped cream just until no white streaks remain. Spoon batter into springform pan over chilled middle layer. Smooth top and chill at least 2.5 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled; carefully run thin knife around edges of pan and gently release sides. Garnish as desired (we recommend melted, drizzled chocolate.) Slice to serve.