We recently had a burst of muggy summer storms. The kind where thick clouds loom low and torrents of downpour flood the streets in mere seconds.
The part where I made a mad dash through the flooded Target parking lot in my soaked shoes ⇒ no fun.
The part where the fresh cool breeze and sunshine greeted us after the storm passed ⇒ tons of fun.
A good rain just somehow refreshes the stuffy air.
Just like a cool drink refreshes the body on a warm day.
Especially if the word watermelon is spoken…
Prior to this Watermelon Margarita, I had never frozen watermelon before. We usually just sink our teeth right in after cutting. If we’re extra lazy, we divvy up the melon into huge pieces and dig in with spoons.
But freezing cubes of watermelon has opened a whole new world. The Littles get a huge kick out of eating frozen watermelon cubes.
Grown-ups are just as thrilled. We’re rewarded with cold, slushy cocktails with loads of watermelon flavor and frozen bits of yummy fruit.
If you make this, expect plenty of requests for more. We’d be willing to bet these frosty drinks will somehow disappear in a blink and a wink.
These Watermelon Margaritas are easy, refreshing, and mouthwatering! Perfect for all your summer gatherings or just for sipping on the porch.
- 2 cups fresh watermelon, cubed and frozen
- 1 cup tequila blanco (white)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur (i.e., Grand Marnier)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- crushed ice for serving
- Do ahead: In a pitcher, stir together the tequila, agave, orange liqueur, and lime juice. Place in fridge to chill.
- When ready to serve, place frozen watermelon cubes in a sturdy blender and blend until mostly smooth (small bits of fruit will remain.) Gently stir watermelon into the chilled tequila mixture. Divide crushed ice into 4 glasses and pour margaritas into glasses. Serve immediately.
If you want to salt-rim your glasses, simply run a lime wedge along the edges of the rims and dip into a shallow small plate of kosher salt. Be sure not to let the drink touch the salted rims, or your drink will accidentally become salty 😉
- Category: drinks, cocktails
Source: Chew Out Loud
Margaritas ‘n More…