It’s been heating up around here. After the intensely endless winter we just had, I’m not complaining. Not one bit. We can finally enjoy those refreshingly cool treats of summer. I am rediscovering the wonders of smoothies. Mostly because they’re a foolproof way to get all my kids to eagerly gulp down a glass full of healthy nutrients. This Avocado Coconut Smoothie was a result of housing too many avocados that needed to be eaten. Or slurped.
We’ve been loving on avocados this year. We frequently indulge in our favorite healthy snack, Fresh ‘n Chunky Guacamole, which is so delish that I make double batches to keep up with the demand. Our Creamy Avocado Pasta is a fab dinner for warm summer days. Part smoothie, part shake, this Avocado Coconut treat is definitely going into our warm-weather drink rotation.
Avocados are quite popular as a sweet treat in many Asian countries. Often, avocados are blended with sweetened condensed milk for a buttery, sweet milkshake-like treat. I used unsweetened coconut milk in lieu of sweetened condensed milk, for a much healthier smoothie. The coconut milk lends a wonderfully tropical flavor, balancing out the avocado beautifully. Because my coconut milk is unsweetened, I used honey for just the right amount of syrupy sweetness.
I always try to sneak in extra antioxidants into my smoothies, so I included baby spinach leaves in this one. You can’t taste the spinach at all, and it offers both color and nutrition to the smoothie. The overall result is a rich, indulgent, healthful treat that you can sip through a straw, enjoy with a spoon, or slurp straight up.
This stuff is not only delicious, nutritious, but it’s also all-purpose. Breakfast, absolutely. After exercise, of course. Afternoon pick-me-up, yes. Dessert, totally.
- 1 large, just ripened avocado
- 1 cup whole Greek yogurt (vanilla or honey)
- 6-8 TB honey or agave nectar, depending on desired sweetness
- 1½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- ½ - ¾ cup crushed ice, optional
- Combine all ingredients except ice in blender. Blend until smooth. If desired, add crushed ice and blend until desired smoothness. Serve immediately or chill serve. If serving later, place cling wrap directly over surface of smoothie to prevent any turning of color.
Source: Chew Out Loud