Before I dive mouth first into today’s hunger inducing recipe, I’d be remiss not to give a shout out to my talented Tech Master. Aka Hubby. Aka Foodie Partner in Crime.
Thirteen years ago, that man gazed adoringly into my eyes and said I do in front of hundreds.
Whether he knew what he was getting into that day (he didn’t) or whether we were prepared for all the ups and downs (we weren’t)… in spite of it all, we’re thankful for this ocean of blessings.
After 13 years, we are both a little more grown up and — dare I say it — more seasoned than we were the day we cut into that colossal wedding cake.
Which brings us to today’s fabulous recipe.
This Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil is a more grown up and seasoned version than the same pasta I first attempted way back when I first became enthralled with good food.
One of my roomies had was a huge pasta fan, and she tutored us in the art of quick and budget-friendly pasta dishes. I was immediately smitten with a certain spaghetti, loaded with garlic and parmesan. Ever since then, I’ve made and remade versions of this simple dish.
Over the years and over bowlfuls, platefuls, and potfuls of spaghetti strewn with garlic and parmesan, it’s fair to say I’ve finally landed upon the best recipe for Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil.
At 30 minutes, it doesn’t require sacrificing more time to dish up these delicious noodles.
With just a handful of ingredients, it’s important to use fresh quality ingredients. You’ll taste every ingredient in this dish, so you’ll want each piece to be worthwhile.
Good quality extra virgin olive oil, parmesan, fresh herbs (dried = no) and plenty of fresh garlic. It will feel like you’re hoarding the world’s supply of garlic for this, but every clove has its purpose, so don’t short the garlic.
This Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil has a wonderfully aromatic flavor and is perfect for pairing with your favorite veggies or protein. Some of us are plenty happy devouring it all by itself.
Once you try this quick and easy version of Aglio e Olio, it will quickly be added to your weeknight repertoire of 30-minute dishes to make.
30-minute Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil
This Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil is known as Aglio e Olio, and is a classic yet simple dish made with just a handful of fresh quality ingredients. Be sure to use fresh garlic, herbs, and grate your own Parmesan. Perfect as a side dish or add in your favorite veggies/protein.
- 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TB salted butter
- 12 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb dried spaghetti noodles
- 3 TB fresh parsley or basil, minced
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large heavy pot, bring well salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over low heat, stir together the olive oil, butter, garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt, stirring and cooking until aromatic, about 5 min.
- Once water is boiling, add spaghetti and cook, stirring often, just until al dente according to package instructions. Don’t overcook. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the spaghetti.
- Return spaghetti to the pot. Stir in parsley or basil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, sauteed garlic in all its oil, and some of the pasta water (enough to reach desired consistency.) Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1/2 cup of the parmesan and toss to coat. Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan onto individually plated pasta.
- Category: main, pasta, side
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from America’s Test Kitchen 30 Minute Cookbook
Here’s another favorite weeknight meal: Cheesy Tortellini Bake that everyone craves!
This is our family’s favorite pasta sauce ever…super chunky, full of the best goodies, and incredibly easy. It goes with any pasta, and even kids who don’t like tomato sauces are all over this one!
And this Amazing One Pot Pasta is not to be forgotten. Throw it all into one big pot and let it work its magic.