Cucumber Sandwiches with Cream Cheese and Lemon
As simple as cucumber sandwiches are, they have a quintessentially English reputation as a luxurious afternoon tea snack fit for the wealthy. The dainty sandwiches were often sliced into triangles, with crusts removed, for high-class tea time.
Okay, history chat done. Fast forward to today, cucumber sandwiches are still made with a handful of simple ingredients, but they’re now a favorite finger food at all kinds of gatherings, from baby showers to lunches.
Here’s what makes cucumber sandwiches such a popular hit:
- They’re fun to munch, with a simultaneously creamy yet crispy texture
- They’re irresistibly refreshing, especially on a warm summer day
- Vegetarians and omnivores alike can enjoy them
- Cucumber sandwiches can be prepared in advance
The Perfect Finger Food for Showers and Parties
I’ve made platefuls of these Cucumber Sandwiches with Cream Cheese and Lemon for baby showers, bridal showers, and lunch parties. The plates always come back empty, as these little cucumber sandwiches are deceptively delicious. They look simple, but taste amazing.
Note: cucumber sandwiches aren’t favorited by women only. This I know, because we’ve been a part of many co-ed shindigs. Guys can scarf down their fair share of these little sandwiches.
Everyone adores these sandwiches with their special lemony twist. That refreshing burst of lemon marries perfectly with cream cheese and dill. The crunch of fresh cucumbers is enlivening. All of it is tenderly enveloped by your favorite bread. Good quality white or wheat bread both work well.
Common Questions and Answers:
The cream cheese mixture can be made 1-2 days in advance and chilled airtight until ready to use. The sandwiches can be fully assembled 24 hours in advance.
We like to call these healthyish. These tea sandwiches include butter and cream cheese, but they are also loaded with fresh lemon and crispy cucumbers. Whole grain bread makes them even better.
You can go light on the butter if you’d like, though the butter not only provides extra flavor, but it also prevents the bread from becoming soggy.
Your favorite kind of high quality white or whole wheat bread. A fluffy-soft yet dense textured bread works well.
Gather and Eat:
- Olive, Bacon, and Watercress Sandwiches
- Hot Imitation Crab Dip
- How to Make Sliders (Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe)
- How to Make the Best Deviled Eggs
- The Best Paloma Cocktail Recipe
- Best Summer Berry Sangria
Try These 3-Ingredient Buttery Shortbread Cookies, Too:
Lemony Cucumber Cream Cheese Sandwiches
These Creamy, Lemony Cucumber Sandwiches are perfect for parties and showers. They’re super easy to make in advance and taste incredible.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 1x
- 4 oz whole cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 2 TB chopped fresh dill
- Zest and Juice of half a large lemon
- Salted butter, softened for spreading on bread slices
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices high quality white or whole grain bread
- 1/2 large cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced, thoroughly dried with paper towels
- Combine: in a small bowl, combine cream cheese, fresh dill, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add enough kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble: butter each slice of bread (prevents sogginess.) Lay slices with butter-side-up on a work surface. Evenly distribute the cream cheese mixture onto each slice. Arrange towel-dried cucumber slices on top of the first 3 slices of bread. Top with remaining bread. Slice off the crusts. If not serving immediately, wrap tightly in cling wrap and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Slice: when ready to serve, slice into 4 triangles per sandwich. Cover and chill any leftovers.
Cream cheese mixture can be made up to 2 days in advance.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 87
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 114.5 mg
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 40.5 mg
- Category: appetizer, side
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: cucumber sandwiches, cucumber cream cheese sandwiches, cucumber sandwiches with cream cheese and lemon