A sweet and tangy twist on a classic recipe, this teriyaki meatloaf is tender, juicy, and full of umami flavor. It comes together with simple pantry staples and pairs with all your favorite sides for an easy weeknight meal!
In This Article
What Is Teriyaki Meatloaf?
If you’ve never had a teriyaki meatloaf, prepare for your mind to be blown! Unlike other Asian fusion recipes such as orange chicken or Asian burgers which have an air of sophistication due to their polished presentations, teriyaki Asian meatloaf is paired-down comfort food. There’s no fluff, no fancy ingredients, nor complicated steps. It’s just good, simple grub. Prepared and baked like a traditional beef meatloaf recipe, teriyaki meatloaf is infused with the sweet and tangy flavors of teriyaki for a taste that is truly unique and utterly addicting.
Why You’ll Love This Asian Meatloaf Recipe
- It’s quick to toss together and makes a lot so you can easily feed the whole clan.
- Leftovers keep well for easy packed lunches or quick dinners the next day.
- Thanks to the use of teriyaki sauce, the flavor is both savory and sweet to satisfy all your tastebuds.
- Made with just a handful of pantry staples, this Asian meatloaf recipe is budget-friendly so you can fill your belly without breaking the bank.
Key Ingredients for Teriyaki Beef Meatloaf Recipe
To save time, you could use a pre-made teriyaki sauce. However, it’s super simple to whip up on your own, and doing so allows you to control the flavors of your meatloaf.
- Light soy sauce and white sugar form the base of the teriyaki sauce, and ground ginger and a pinch of black pepper are added for a bit of kick.
- Following traditional beef meatloaf recipes, we include lean ground beef as the main protein source for this dish.
- Bread pieces are mixed in with the piece for a soft and tender texture.
- Eggs are added along with milk to help combine all of the ingredients and provide structure, holding the meatloaf together.
- Plenty of flavor is what makes this Asian meatloaf stand out! White onion and minced garlic are included to enhance the taste of the beef and compliment the sweetness of the dish with a savory twist.
Commonly Asked Questions
The secret to keeping your meatloaf from falling apart is in the binder. It might be tempting to skip the eggs or reduce the milk but trust us; they’re important! Also, be careful not to overcook your meatloaf as doing so will cause it to dry out and fall apart.
Yes! When stored in an airtight container, this teriyaki beef meatloaf recipe will stay fresh in the fridge for 4-5 days or freezer for 3-4 months. It’s perfect for meal prep.
Honestly, this recipe tastes incredible with everything! However, our favorite way to serve it is with Asian sticky rice or coconut rice and a side of veggies such as roasted brussels sprouts or air fryer broccoli.
More to Cook and Eat
- BBQ Turkey Meatloaf – Uses barbecue in place of ketchup for an unbeatable taste.
- Teriyaki Salmon – A generation’s old family favorite that’s out-of-this-world delicious.
- Teriyaki Chicken (Easy Stovetop Method) – An irresistible dinner that’s ready in just 15 minutes!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki – A must-try recipe that’s light on prep work but bold on flavor.
Also Try Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
For the Sauce:
- ¾ cup light soy sauce
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
For the Meatloaf:
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Set oven to 350F, with rack on middle or lower middle position.
- Mix together sauce ingredients with whisk until incorporated. Set aside. Mix together all meatloaf ingredients. Stir in the sauce, reserving 1/3 cup for later. Mix thoroughly.
- Press mixture into large loaf pan or shape your own loaf in a 13×9 pan. If using loaf pan, be sure to have a large pan underneath to catch spillage. Pour remaining sauce over top of meatloaf evenly. Bake for 1 to 1.5 hours or until meat is cooked through.
- Slice and serve with your favorite rice.
- Meatloaf Pan Set, with grease drain
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram