We’re teetering between the end of summer and start of fall. The days are still warm with sunshine, but the warmth quickly fades into crisp, cool evenings.
I’ve been wanting to share my favorite Avocado Hummus for some time now, and there’s no better time than today. It’s the best healthy pick-me-up food for these crazy busy first weeks of school. It’s perfect for both warm days and cool evenings.
This Avocado Hummus is one of my favorite healthy snacks, because (1) It is SO easy to make that I’m almost embarrassed but not really, (2) It’s an addictive snack that Hubby munches buckets of with no guilt, and (3) My 4-year-old loves the stuff.
When Hubby and kids choose this healthy dip over junk food, I know it’s a winner.
Creamy avocados mixed with garbanzo beans takes hummus to new heights that wow your taste buds. We already enjoy classic hummus, but avocados lend a delicious buttery richness to the dip. We love this recipe so much that a container often sits in our fridge, ready to relieve those late-night cravings. It’s tough to keep enough chips stocked to keep up with our appetite for Avocado Hummus.
We even use Avocado Hummus in place of mayo for our sandwiches. It’s seriously delicious between bread and it’s good for you. Give it a try in your favorite hoagie next time! The possibilities are endless.
This Avocado Hummus is packed with the protein of garbanzo beans. It’s loaded with the goodness of avocado and tahini (a sesame paste that can be found at many large grocery stores in their ethnic aisles), lemon juice, and olive oil. Not to mention the antioxidant power of fresh garlic and cumin. I may smell like garlic after devouring this dip, but that doesn’t stop me. Plus, when everyone is noshing on it, nobody notices.
We’ve collected plenty of decadent treats on this blog, and we love enjoying all of them with friends and family. Things like Homemade Nutter Butters are meant to be shared. But. When we’re not partying, we try to eat clean as much as possible. Most of the time. We do like to party
This Avocado Hummus is clean eating at its yummy best.
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans, drained (homemade or canned)
- 3 TB real tahini (sesame paste found in ethnic aisles of major grocery stores)
- 2-3 TB fresh lemon juice, depending on how lemony you want it
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- few sprigs of fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne, optional
- Place all ingredients except for avocado in a food processor (or powerful blender.) Peel and halve the avocado, and add to the food processor.
- Process until smooth and well blended.
- Add more salt and/or cayenne pepper to taste, if needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips, pita chips, or use in place of mayo in your sandwich (delish!)
- Keeps well with cling wrap placed directly over the top surface of dip, in fridge.
Source: Chew Out Loud