Happy First Official Day of Fall! Many of us have already been bitten by the fall bug — baking, leaf-watching, apple picking, etc.
But today it’s all official. And we celebrate official things around here with none other than food.
But of course…
There is nothing more perfectly suited for officially ushering in the fall season than apples.
Apples galore! We are giddy about our annual trips to the apple orchards; each year we try to hit up a couple different ones It’s so fun finding new orchards to go to. Our favorite Honeycrisp variety should be available for picking soon, and that’s like candy on Halloween to me.
In the meantime, I finally made this most luscious apple butter. Been dreaming about this one.
I’ve long been hankering to make and eat this apple butter. The Littles have been begging for more homemade applesauce, which I do plenty of every fall. Apple Butter is made in a similar way, but it’s sweeter, thicker, and perfect for spreading.
Apple Butter is just the thing for spreading on toast, muffins, pancakes, and in lieu of the jelly for PBJ’s.
I feel so good about spreading plenty of homemade apple butter on anything and everything. It’s made simply with a bucket full of fresh apples, fall spices, and brown sugar. That’s it.
You can use your favorite organic apples, which is way more economical than buying a little jar of apple butter at the store.
Nothing artificial. No preservatives. Nothing weird. Just all goodness.
Super velvety, smooth, and tasty.
This recipe makes about two jars’ worth of yummy apple butter, which I keep airtight in the fridge. It keeps really well, so you can pull it out to use for weeks.
Here’s to a season full of colorful leaves, apple orchards, and the aroma of apple butter in your slow cooker.
Creamy Apple Butter Recipe
- In a bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Whisk to combine. Place apples into slow cooker and toss with spice mixture. Cook on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and stir in vanilla. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 more hours on low.
- Either use an immersion blender or transfer apple butter to a blender. Puree just until smooth and creamy. Transfer to clean jars, cover, and keep chilled for several weeks.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from My Baking Addiction
Here’s more apple love. Try any of these this fall; you won’t be sorry 🙂
- Best Apple Pie with All Butter Flaky Crust. No shortening in this crust, and it’s super tender and flaky. This apple pie is the best pie we’ve ever had, hands down.
- For an easy crowd pleasing brunch or dessert, this Moist Apple Cake with Caramel Drizzle with have everyone knocking down your door for the recipe.
- Don’t forget the cookies. Soft Apple Cookies are the perfect fall cookies; kids and grownups will enjoy these for snacks or even a breakfast treat.
- It’s not too early to think about stuffing. This Apple and Sausage Stuffing easily steals the show.