Mahi Mahi, otherwise known as Dorado, is a deservedly popular fish. When done right, mahi mahi is tender, flaky, and deliciously flavorful. This lemon garlic butter sauce is sensational.
Easy Perfect Mahi Mahi Recipe
I grew up in a family that often dished up fish for dinner. Any given weeknight, we would sit down to a meal that included freshly cooked fish. My parents served up all varieties of fish, from whole fish to fish fillets. They used all methods of cooking with their fish recipes, from braised to pan fried.
As a child, I naively thought everyone adored some fish dish. Alas, one day I discovered that was far from truth. (Pssst: I’ve been kinda secretly convinced that it must be because some haven’t found their perfect fish recipe just yet.) 😉
Though there are a myriad of ways to cook up delicious fish – hello, Sheet Pan Lemon Salmon – this easy mahi mahi fish recipe is perfect for anyone to make. It only takes about 20 minutes, it’s super tender, and incredibly tasty. People keep telling me they can’t believe they made this restaurant-quality mahi mahi dish by themselves. You can, too.
What’s the best way to cook mahi mahi?
Whether you’re a pro fish cooker-eater or you’re trying to start incorporating more fish into your diet, this recipe is a perfect way to serve it up. We use the stovetop-to-oven method of cooking here, like we do with this trusty lemon garlic swordfish, which yields a nicely browned exterior yet tender, flaky center.
Here are some of our helpful tips for cooking mahi mahi:
- Get either super fresh or quick-frozen, high quality mahi mahi… wild is best and will provide best flavor.
- Be sure your mahi portions are about 6-7oz each, with at least 1-inch thickness. If your portions are thin or too small, they’ll tend to overcook and the seasoning proportions will be off.
- Always pat dry excess moisture from the fish; this step is super important, as it affects how well your fish will brown. I use paper towels to fully pat away all extra moisture.
- Your cooking oil needs to be very hot [like, sizzling] before adding the fish. This allows for quick and even browning of exterior.
- Once fish is in pan, do not keep. moving it around. Let it sit and brown for 3 minutes. It helps to have a large splatter guard. I use mine often whenever pan-frying foods.
- Preheat oven ahead of time so that it’s nice and hot when you transfer the mahi mahi directly from stovetop to oven. After 5 minutes in the oven, it’s done.
What do I need for the lemon garlic sauce?
- Plenty of freshly minced garlic is called for. Don’t skimp on the garlic.
- Grab one fresh lemon and zest the peel; then squeeze 1 TB of tangy juice from it. Bottled lemon juice isn’t the same, so use fresh lemons.
- I prefer to use salted pure butter, but feel free to use unsalted if you like as long as it’s real butter.
- For freshly chopped herbs, choose from chives or parsley…or both.
- Tip: sauce can be prepared ahead of time, covered, and chilled until you’re ready to warm it up for serving. It’s a great sauce to have on hand.
What to serve with fish?
This fish dish is one of our favorites for everything from quick weeknight dinners to small dinner parties. If your friends enjoy restaurant-quality fish dishes, they’ll be in awe of you for serving this mahi mahi. Because the Lemon Garlic Sauce can be made in advance, all you need to do is cook your fish, which takes about 8 minutes total.
- I love this Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice, as it goes so well with most meals and is healthy yet easy.
- For a skillet easy rice dish, this Easy Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms is fantastic.
- We really like this 20-Minute Lemon Spinach Orzo Salad for some greens and a complete meal.
- A nice serving of this Best Easy Roasted Vegetables Recipe makes an amazing dinner with your fish as well.
- If potatoes are your thing, Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Lemon is a favorite recipe that includes a section on How to roast potatoes perfectly. The flavor combo is a perfect match.
More Easy Fish to Cook and Eat:
- Mahi Mahi with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Pan Seared Mahi Mahi with Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Easy Lemon Butter Fish in 20 Minutes
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce
- Crispy Baja Fish Tacos with Creamy Lime Sauce
- White Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Honey Lime Grilled Salmon
Watch us make this mahi mahi:
* This recipe is part of our easy fish recipes collection *