Cheese Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Imagine tender, buttery, soft potatoes layered in a casserole dish. It’s peppered with herbs and seasonings and of course garlic. Dreamy melted cheese rests between each layer and creates a bubbly golden glory on top.
We’re talking 3 kinds of cheese: extra sharp cheddar, wonderful gruyere, and flavorful parmesan.
Your piping hot, cheese scalloped potatoes emerges from the oven, ready to absorb all the oooh-ahhhhs coming its way. It’s the epitome of comfort food. It’s destined to be shared at all the gatherings, potlucks, and dinner parties.
This is the scalloped potatoes recipe you’ll want to keep for all the moments that call for magical side dishes…
The Scalloped Potatoes Recipe that pairs with everything
Perfectly Tender and Moist Turkey or Beef Tenderloin Roast with Garlic Wine Sauce and a big dish of Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes. That’s all one needs for Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas gatherings, and Easter brunches. Not that cheesy scalloped potatoes need a holiday to make an appearance.
‘K, maybe some Best Ever Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting too. That would be really, really good to include for any of the above occasions.
But definitely Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes. It also teams up beautifully with 5-Ingredient Honey Baked Ham, or Slow Cooker Corned Beef … basically whatever your menu desires. It just goes. With anything.
It’s tender, creamy, cheesy, and you can make it several hours ahead of time so the oven is freed up. Bigs and Littles alike devour it, so get ready for some hungry peeps.
Make these scalloped potatoes ahead of time
My ultimate favorite thing about any recipe: the ability to prep ahead. Because I’d much much prefer to mingle and have fun at my party than to be rushing around the kitchen.
These Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes can be assembled and cooked ahead of time and rewarmed for serving. It’s the ultimate comforting, crowd-pleasing side dish.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Guyere cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 TB salted butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 TB flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into rounds (1/4" thickness)
- Optional: chopped parsley or chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F with rack on lower middle position. In a bowl, mix together all the cheeses until combined. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter on medium high heat. Saute onion and garlic in melted butter until softened, 2-3 min. Add flour and whisk until smooth and not grainy. Add milk and whisk to combine well. Add salt and pepper, whisking to combine.
- In a 9x13 glass baking dish, arrange half of the sliced potatoes, allowing them to overlap a bit. Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over potatoes. Pour half of the milk mixture over the cheese. Top with remaining potatoes, followed by rest of the milk mixture (hold off on the remaining cheese until later.)
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake 45 min. Uncover dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture. Bake uncovered about 45 minutes longer, until potatoes are fork tender and cheese is golden brown. Let stand at room temp 15-30 minutes before serving.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram