A glass of Mint Julep is refreshing and perfect for the warming weather. Aside from water/ice, this cocktail only needs 3 ingredients! This class cocktail couldn’t be easier to make and enjoy.
3-Ingredient Mint Julep
It’s National Mint Julep Day, Guys!
Yeah, there’s really such a day. And it wouldn’t have been on my radar except that Hubby brought home such a beautiful bunch of fresh mint. I wasn’t about to let that refreshing mint go to waste.
Side note: if you ever want to plant mint into your garden, just FYI that it’s super hardy and can grow like wild. It’ll come back year after year as a perennial in regions that frost over for the winter. So, if you bring home a beautiful bunch of fresh mint from the store that has roots intact, you can definitely put that into the ground if you like.
Here’s how we’re doing our 3-ingredient mint julep…
Mint Julep is minty-refreshing on a hot summer day
Sometimes we’ll have a bunch of fresh mint from our garden that smells just like spearmint gum. The Littles have been known to pluck tender mint leaves and chew on them. Natural breath freshener.
(P.S. you also can’t trust certain doggies around fresh mint leaves either. Just in case that piece of knowledge ever comes in handy.)
For a minty refreshing mint julep you can easily shake up for yourself or to share with friends, all you need is: fresh mint, sugar, and great bourbon.
Traditionally, mint julep is synonymous with the Kentucky Derby. I’ve never been to a real derby, so it’s one of the gazillion things on my bucket list.
I’ve also never been to Kentucky. That’s not so much on the bucket list. Unless the trip includes a derby, which would be a totally different story.
I wonder if you have to wear an extra large whimsical hat to get in.
For such a classically popular cocktail, mint juleps are surprisingly easy to make.
As long as you’ve gathered plentiful fresh mint and good quality bourbon, you’ll be all set to sip.
It’s Friday afternoon and I’m done talking. 😉
This Mint Julep recipe is easy, fresh, and perfect for a warm evening on the porch or with friends! Aside from water and ice, you only need 3 ingredients!
- For the Infused Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole, fresh mint leaves (plus more for garnish)
- For the Cocktail:
- 4 cups crushed ice
- 4 ounces good quality bourbon
- Do ahead: Over medium heat, add sugar and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Add the 1 cup mint leaves and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and let sit 30 minutes to infuse. Strain infused syrup into a container and set aside. (Any leftover syrup can be stored in the fridge for future use.)
- When ready to serve: To highball glass or silver Julep cup, add desired amount of cooled infused simple syrup. Add 1 cup crushed ice, bourbon, and splash of water. Add enough of remaining ice to almost fill glass. Stir well and garnish with mint sprig.
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from Epicurious
Here are some refreshingly delicious cocktails for anytime of year:
- The Best Sangria…ever. Really. Just try it once and you’ll never need another recipe again.
- The Best Mojitos. Again, not lying. These are the bomb every single time, thanks to the minty infused simple syrup…none of that watered down business.
- Mango Cooler Cocktail. This is so easy to throw together last minute. Perfect for a party or just sipping in the backyard.
- 4 Ingredient Mango Sour. Sweet and tangy and totally refreshing.